THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the ClientOur Client is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
Established in 1993, Client manages an ultra high-speed network, hundreds of times faster than the internet, which facilitates leading-edge research and big science across Canada and around the world. More than 39,000 researchers at nearly 200 Canadian universities and colleges use our Client’s Network, as well as researchers at institutes, hospitals, and government laboratories throughout the country.
Through our Client, they have enables researchers to share and analyze massive amounts of data, which can lead to ground-breaking scientific discoveries. Client’s network, programs, and strategic partnerships with 12 regional networks in Canada, and 100 international networks in more than 80 countries, stimulate research that delivers economic, social, and cultural benefits to Canadians.
The Director, Finance is accountable to the Chief Financial Officer for all financial and funding programs and for management of staff in the financial group. Responsibilities include being the prime point of contact for auditors, financial reporting, and special projects such as process improvement. Provide comptrollership functions in order to ensure finances are managed according to legislation, policies and procedures and generally accepted accounting principles.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Primary point of contact for Client’s auditors, tax auditors and is a resource to the Audit and Investment Committee.
• Accountable for the preparation of quarterly financial statements, management reports, and financial reports, funding requests and compliance reports, and documents required for the Board of Directors and Industry Canada.
• Responsible for the supervision of financial and admin functions of all funding programs.
• Provide leadership and direction to Finance staff to ensure efficient use of human resources.
• Accountable for ongoing management of all investment portfolios, and related cash flow management, and cash balances.
• Working with the Financial Reporting Officer, the Director, Finance is accountable for ensuring the correct and timely processing of all accounts payable and receivable and for the integrity of financial records.
• Prime in developing, implementing, enhancing, and maintaining internal financial system procedures, including maintenance of the project and program spreadsheets and providing recommendations on changes to internal controls and purchasing procedures to the CFO.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining mechanisms for the preparation of expense summaries and reports; preparation of all financial reports from the databases, project budget summaries when requested, and other requested reports.
• Develop, enhance and maintain processes to project and monitor metrics and report on a monthly basis.
• Responsible for ensuring the accurate tracking of commodity sales taxes, including any self-assessment amounts and preparation of the appropriate returns.
• Provide a financial perspective to management to assist them in developing plans which are cost-effective and which meet devised targets.
• Support the CFO and other management staff with annual budgeting process.
• In collaboration with the finance team, collect and prepare monthly/quarterly financial reports. Prepare forecasts of future expenditures and analysis of expenditures to date for management review.
• Responsible for recommending improvements in administrative procedures and facilities and for coordinating some procurement processes.
• Responsible for analysis of accounts to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in purchasing and for identifying process improvements which result in efficiencies.
Contribute to the development of best practices
Experience and Educational Requirements
• post-secondary education and accounting certification (i.e. CA, CGA, CMA )
• 7-10 years work experience in financial reporting, operational effectiveness, and efficiency
• excellent communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills
• proficiency in accounting applications (i.e. QuickBooks) and Microsoft Office functions.
• ability to design, critique, and improve financial processes
• activities to be carried out in a timely and proactive manner and ensuring maximum, cost-effective use of Client resources
• bilingualism preferred
Some domestic travel will be required.
Remuneration and Benefits
Salary, incentives, and benefit package are commensurate with experience and qualifications.