Director Engineering – Ottawa
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Client is recognized worldwide for its innovative solutions for improving the effectiveness of operating and maintaining critical equipment. For over 35 years Client’s solutions have been used in Defense, Aerospace, Energy and Marine applications to optimize the availability, readiness, maintenance, performance and safety of complex rotating equipment.
Client is a technology-based company that specializes in the development and implementation of advanced machinery maintenance, monitoring and control solutions for industrial, marine, and aeronautical applications.
Client’s products and services add value throughout the life cycle of complex rotating equipment from the design stage through to in-service operations and support. They design, manufacture and support advanced equipment fluid sensing and analysis products including on-line, full-flow oil debris sensors and at-line oil analysis systems. Based on their core competencies of machinery analysis, modeling and simulation, software engineering, condition monitoring, and repair and overhaul, the company also provides a range of specialized technical and engineering services to assist in the design, development and in-service support of machinery control, monitoring and maintenance systems.
Scope of Position:
The Director of Engineering position encompasses multiple roles that include: the responsibility for developing and maintaining a team with the knowledge, skills, tools, processes and procedures required to support the development of our products. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical design lineage with firsthand experience bringing new products to market successfully.
The application of your technical depth and management experience will focused on GasTops sensor systems designs that are integrated into a machine’s oil lubrication system and include analog and digital signal processing with complex signal processing algorithms. The analyzers are electro-mechanical systems requiring automation of various control and measurement devices such as cameras, positioners, lasers, x-rays, and spectrometers, and the use of complex analysis algorithms to process results. These products are used in a range of industries with demanding environmental requirements, including aerospace, industrial, and marine applications.
The Director of Engineering shall meet company objectives for developing and maintaining core competencies, design, new product development, and improvement of existing product lines by performing the following duties personally or through the supervision/management/collaboration with other engineering team members.
Coaching and Developing Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees; Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development; Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities; Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level.
Generates new ideas; Challenges existing assumptions; Goes beyond the status quo; Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches; Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role; Has thorough knowledge of role and responsibilities, relevant products, services and methods; Expands technical knowledge/role proficiency and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met; Has a reputation for execution and delivery; Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; Aims to improve upon past performance; Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve/exceed them.
Recognizes when change is necessary; Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives; Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change; Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Delegates responsibility to match the skill and ability level of team members; Provides others with the scope and resources necessary in order to complete assignments effectively; Creates an environment where individuals have the latitude to use their discretion.
The successful candidate will bring a demonstrated ability to:
- Develop, implement and enforce standard methods and tools for the engineering team.
- Monitor new emerging technologies; execute the technology roadmap based on market demand/constraints.
- Develop engineering team to ensure the required skills, training, and staffing levels are available, coordinating with business units and engineering department manager to ensure the team is suited to the expected workload. Conduct performance reviews of team members.
- Maintain keen awareness of the trends and conditions in technology, products and development tools relevant to the needs of the company’s customers and business.
- Coordinate with business units, applications engineers, and customer/field support engineers to ensure that product requirements are properly understood and considered.
- Promotes a strong dependable team environment through strong leadership and the effective use of hiring, mentoring, coaching, performance management and skills development.
- Contribute to and lead the Development of the Annual Research and Development Budget through collaboration with the Director of Research, Product Managers, Engineering Team Leads and other Functional Team Leads.
- Manage the Annual Research & Development Budget and oversee the Execution of the various projects that it encompasses.
- Manages the day-to-day development aspects of large projects; requirements analysis, planning, design, implementation, new product introduction, controlled introduction, and general availability.
- Multiplexes between different projects and delivers on commitments.
- Contribute to the development of the Annual Corporate Business Plan through collaboration with other members of the Senior Management Team
- Ensure designs and analyses are developed with sound engineering practices following relevant industry standards.
- Provides general guidance/coaching to other Engineers, in multi-disciplined teams (hardware, software,)
- Personnel Management including annual performance reviews, salary reviews and career development planning for all engineering team members.
- Responsible for meeting overall schedule & budget committed to in the project plan
- clearly communicates ideas with presentations and reports, whether highly technical, or overview for senior management.
- May be required to travel to customer sites (domestic and international).
- Works with the Technical Leaders within the team and with the Product Managers to finalize the project requirements.
Preferred Experience and Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Mechanical, Software or Electrical Engineering
- 10 to 15 years of experience in Product Design and Development.
- Electrical or Systems Engineer with 7-10 years technical experience, Masters or advanced research experience considered an asset.
- Significant knowledge and experience in research, design, product development, TRL 3-9 critical technology elements, product lifecycle management.
- Conceptually link macro level project plans to micro level tasks.
- Diagnosing and correcting software/hardware/mechanical integration problems.
- Capability to help establish and execute bold technology vision and sell to customers, employees and other stakeholders.
- Passionate about the company’s mission and business strategy and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values to external and internal stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills and capacity to work well under pressure, deadlines and with multiple priorities.
- Getting the job done right, delivering results, continuously improving, displaying a dynamic approach, displaying energy and enthusiasm
Skills and Attributes
- Highly motivated and result oriented
- Strong design skills, practical
- Strong analytical skills
- Creative and Detail oriented
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work individually or in a team environment
- Ability to motivate and lead teams
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Experience with aerospace development and testing in accordance DO-178 B and/or DO-254 would be an asset
Remuneration & Benefits
- Base salary with a variable along with a comprehensive benefits package.
If interested, please contact:CATHERINE PAN DIRECTOR RESEARCH GROUP firstname.lastname@example.org (613) 592 4145 EXT 223