Defence and Security - Sr Business Development Manager
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Client is one of Canada's leading defence and security electronics companies, with a worldwide reputation for excellence in the production of technology-based, integrated solutions for land, airborne, maritime and public safety applications. With state-of-the-art facilities located in Ottawa, Calgary and Halifax, they hold a significant national presence.
The company's success is based on strong systems engineering experience, ongoing investment in research and development, collaboration with commercial and military systems industry leaders, and most importantly, by building and maintaining a strong, open and honest relationship with our customers. With a dedicated team of scientists and research engineers within the company, they continually investigate, develop and vet new ideas and technologies to ensure that the company delivers the most advanced systems, equipment and capabilities to meet customer needs.
Scope of Position
The Sr. Business Development Manager is responsible for leading the Business Development team. Responsibilities include; business area strategic planning, direction and development of existing business opportunities, and leading new strategic initiatives to ensure long term sustainable growth.
- Leadership for the company strategy and business development including the progression and management of the business development team
- Identification of new/non-traditional business opportunities in line with Client’s long term strategic vision. This is about a drive for growth and desire to broaden our capabilities, not just maintaining the status quo;
- Ongoing customer relationship management of existing customers and the cultivation of new relationships in both international and domestic markets
- Grow international offering market/customer intimacy and connectivity
- Maintain/develop proximity to core and new customer base(s) for Land and Joint Solutions in order to provide information/awareness on company activities, to make presentations on company experience and capabilities, and to identify new business opportunities, thereby adding to our business growth plans. In addition to Land and Joint Business area focus and interests, the overall interests of the company is to be presented to customers;
- Building a powerful network with representatives/project staff in various government and OEM customer departments and organizations which are able to support Client’s interests;
- Developing Business Cases and Strategic Plans for individual pursuits and broader initiatives;
- Leading Capture/Proposal Management team activities for approved opportunities and overseeing Pursuit Decisions, Bid/No Bid gates and Formal Management Review Meetings in accordance with the company’s Bid and Proposal Development Procedures;
- Align BD team to ensure adequate Program support for franchise growth initiatives
- Influence to ensure that Client’s proposals are favorably aligned, received and reviewed;
- Lead internal business development into other company’s business units and providing them with information regarding specific programs, customer direction and thinking, as well as general information dealing with the Defence market;
- Providing monthly project updates for business unit meetings and supporting/organizing strategic planning sessions;
- Participating in the development, planning, and implementation of marketing and sales programs such as trade shows, press releases, brochures, data sheets, white papers, briefings, etc.;
- Leading trade show and conference delegations to promote the business and its capabilities;
- Enable vision/direction and support to Marcom as well as engineering development teams;
- Building and maintaining a strong network with industrial colleagues which are considered to be competitive threats, as well as potential collaboration partners/subcontractors for business opportunities. This includes identifying the strengths and weaknesses of potential partners and competitors for collaboration and/or competition;
- Developing, administering and controlling assigned budget allocations
- Interfacing with all groups within the company to establish strategy and directional alignment related to all projects;
Adopts an energetic approach; Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks; Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them; Aware of competitor's products, services and position; Is rigorous in researching data related to target markets.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources; Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met; Has a reputation for execution and delivery; Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; Aims to improve upon past performance; Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve/exceed them.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 10 years combined experience, ideally in a Defence related industrial sector (Business Development, Product/Project Management, Engineering);
- Not only a burning drive to win and a will to ‘find a way’ but also a creative thinker with a strong, externally facing and internally astute, business acumen.
- A collaborative leader who unites multi-disciplinary teams (including management leadership) and aligns them around common goals and objectives as they relate to winning and corporate growth
- Business development and capture management
- Proposal development experience
- Knowledge of procurement approaches used in international programs and by relevant OEM supplier base.
- Have excellent communication skills - conversation and written use of English.
- Be able to work flexible hours and be willing to travel
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering, or applicable scientific discipline is required.
- MBA with a technical/engineering background is desirable however an acceptable level of business experience will be considered for the right candidate
- Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position, which requires a minimum five year consecutive residency in Canada.
Remuneration & Benefits
Competitive base plus variable.