Defence & Aerospace – Canadian Director Business Development
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Client
Client is an international communications and information technology company serving government and commercial markets in more than 125 countries. Client is the prime contractor supporting the complete life cycle of avionics and electrical systems on aircrafts. Their experienced team provides a broad range of optimized services to the Department of National Defence ensuring effective support to fleet operations.
Client has grown its Avionic Repair business from 35 people and $8M in annual revenue to north of $30M and more than 70 people.
Reporting directly to the Director of Programs and working closely with the Senior Management team the Canadian Director of Business Development will be responsible for winning new business within the DND and Shared Service Canada market. This role will focus on but not limited to Supply Chain, Logistics and Engineering and Support Services.
The Canadian Director of Business Development will play a strategic role in continuing to grow the support system solution to include other combat platforms and help Client grow to over $95M by 2019. This role will have the support of the Calgary operation along with the Client’s US parent company.
Strategic Growth Activity
- Prepare Canadian market strategies and long range Business Development plans for review with the Client’s Canada Director of Programs and with the Critical Networks/Mission Sustainment Business Development leads.
- Identify, qualify, pursue, and bid large ($100M+) and small new business opportunities.
- Maintain an awareness of the economic and political environment as it relates to Canadian business opportunity and pursuit risk/impact.
- Maintain a current and complete knowledge of OWSS specific and Client’s Critical Networks/Mission Sustainment capabilities and services.
- Network with the OWSS specific target market and communicate Client’s Critical Networks/Mission Sustainment capabilities and services in order to ensure the development of robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Supply sound business judgment, innovation in approaching business challenges and the ability to translate a strategic plan into operating results.
- Initiate and maintain, on a daily basis, positive relationships with the client/potential client(s) to monitor current and future opportunities, tracking opportunities and market trends.
- Develop customer relationships to expand local domestic market.
- Meet client's needs prior to contract execution. Provide advice, liaison, and planning to prospective and current clients.
- Advise at a strategic level on tactical-level execution of opportunity-specific capture.
- Travel to customer locations to strengthen relationships and create pipeline of opportunities (estimated 25% travel time per fiscal year).
Tactical Growth Activity
- Apply full life-cycle business development methodologies and tools, including opportunity identification, qualification, positioning, bidding, competitive analysis, price to win, and related activities. PWin, Customer Intimacy, and other models will be populated and maintained.
- Lead in the project proposal pursuit by understanding customer needs, and promoting our Client’s distinguishing organization capacity advantages and resources in the development of proposals and presentations.
- Lead in development of responses to LOIs, RFIs, RFPs, RFQs and all other requests for information related to growth and Business Development.
- Plan and direct BD/Capture/proposal activities to achieve wins and revenue generation.
- Track win/loss of proposals and analyze lost sales and make recommendations to improve win potential.
- Incumbent will be held accountable to and measured against metrics that include but are not limited to pipeline size, capture ratio, win rate, award value.
Preferred Experience and Education
- Minimum of 10 years DND BD experience
- Solid understanding of new business identification, qualification, capture, bid and proposal
- Understanding of Capture Plan preparation and execution of opportunity gate reviews
- Familiarity with the relatively recent Defence Procurement Strategy
- Knowledge of Teaming Agreement development and negotiations
- Previous DND experience
- Possesses DND and PWGSC Customer intimacy as well as overall expertise in DND/PWGSC organizational structure, buying methods, existing and emerging deals, and competitive playing field
- Good understanding of the DND marketplace (customer needs, preferences, policies, and operational concepts)
- Experience using lead tracking system/CRM database
- Documented “win list” to include multiple large awards in the defence or other government markets within last 5 years
- Sales funnel and discretionary resources financial management
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts degree required
- Masters Degree preferred
Remuneration and Benefits
- Competitive base plus variable