CTO (Chief Technology Officer) Canada
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
CTO (Chief Technology Officer) position available in Canada
Our Client is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
Established in 1993, Client manages an ultra high-speed network, hundreds of times faster than the internet, which facilitates leading-edge research and big science across Canada and around the world. More than 39,000 researchers at nearly 200 Canadian universities and colleges use our Client’s Network, as well as researchers at institutes, hospitals, and government laboratories throughout the country.
Through our Client, they have enables researchers to share and analyze massive amounts of data, which can lead to ground-breaking scientific discoveries. Client’s network, programs, and strategic partnerships with 12 regional networks in Canada, and 100 international networks in more than 80 countries, stimulate research that delivers economic, social, and cultural benefits to Canadians.
The CTO reports to the Chief Executive Officer and leads a team accountable for the planning, design, operation, administration, and maintenance of organization’s advanced network infrastructure. As a technical authority, they play a key role in liaising with national and international stakeholders (e.g. research, education, industry, government) to chart and deliver the promises of advancements in cyberinfrastructure.
Duties and responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities, as both a direct contributor and through leading a team:
- Represent Organization and Canada to provide technical insight and contribution through liaison with variety of national and international stakeholders including:
Lead technology strategy and roadmap development and contribute to strategic planning
• analyze cyberinfrastructure trends and technology
• help translate client requirements into feasible technical plans and programs
• contribute to strategic and operational plans
Plan network and service growth
• ensure accurate technical and financially viable network plans are developed for current requirements and future demands
• develop and deliver enhancements to existing services (e.g. lightpaths), as well as new service offerings (e.g. IPv6, peering)
• lead dialog and negotiation with service providers, vendors and other partners
Monitor and maintain network service levels
• maintain service levels through an efficient and effective Network Operations Centre (NOC)
• ensure orderly network evolution (e.g. upgrades, expansion, and new service deployment)
• support demonstration of new capability
Support technical and promotional program delivery
• ensure technical objectives of Network Enabled Program (NEP) projects are being met
• represent Organization as its technical spokesperson
• provide input to the development, and assistance in the delivery, of outbound programs
Support and develop your direct and extended teams
• set team and individual objectives and manage performance accordingly
• develop and manage operational budgets
• coach and develop team members
• foster a positive work environment and contribute to Organization’s culture
Experience and Educational Requirements
• BSc. in electrical engineering, computer science or physics
• a minimum of 12 years of telecommunications, technical leadership experience including a minimum of 2 years experience in a NOC or similar environment
• Product Line Management experience is an asset
• in depth knowledge of a wide range of cyberinfrastructure including TCP/IP (including IPv6), optical networking, network control and management planes, web services, peering, Service-Oriented Architectures, cloud computing
• experience with TCP/IP network design and troubleshooting
• strong negotiation skills
• excellent English oral and written communication skills, bilingualism preferred
A moderate degree of domestic and international travel will be required.
Remuneration and Benefits
Compensation and benefits are commensurate with experience and qualifications.