Cryptocurrency Financial Company - Chief Financial Officer, Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Founder and Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for overseeing all financial aspects of the Company’s operation and reporting on those aspects to the Board of Directors and the executive management team in a timely and accurate fashion.
More specifically, the CFO will be accountable for the development of the financial and strategy direction, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results.
Critical to this role is the individual’s awareness of the early stage growth environment. The successful candidate will lead the company to the next stage in the evolution from its current early beginnings to annual revenue in the hundreds of millions over the next several years while preparing the company for the eventual IPO.
- Responsible for setting the financial strategy to ensure long term growth and optimum enterprise value for the company;
- Provide the primary external interface with financial institutions and investment community;
- Act as a key business partner to the CEO and the operating team, providing financial guidance and counsel on all matters relating to the finance function including strategic business planning, budgeting and forecasting, business analysis, and corporate growth strategies. Take ownership for results along with the management team;
- Report on the Company's financials (i.e. P/L, Balance Sheet, cash flow, etc.) to the executive management team and the Board of Directors;
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to the finance staff in the organization;
- Oversee and manage the accounting, tax, insurance, budget, credit and treasury and capital structure functions ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served;
- Provide teaching and coaching to other senior management staff on financial matters relating to their operational responsibilities;
- Preparation of the annual financial statements in accordance with Canadian and US GAAP and IFRS requirements, as necessary;
- Provide effective cash flow management (receivables, suppliers, capital expenditures, expenses) and make recommendations; review existing financial procedures and implementation and necessitate change as approved;
- Oversee all budgeting aspects and audits relating to the Company and oversee all financial management systems incorporated by the Company; provide primary interface with the approved external auditors;
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality and that they meet the cost objectives that are established; reporting on a monthly as well as a quarterly basis;
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are in place for the benefit of all stakeholders;
- Manage the relationship with the audit firm for annual audit/income tax activities and all related matters;
- Ensure that the finance organization is structured and sized to be optimally aligned to the needs of the business;
- Oversee all purchasing and payroll activity for staff and participants;
- Manage investor relations with a view to accurately yet positively representing the company in the public and financial marketplaces.
- Manage banking and other stakeholder relationships;
- Manage financial relationships/contracts with investors, debtors, suppliers, customers and partners along with the CEO and other team members;
- Ensure compliance to securities statutory and regulatory reporting requirements;
- Effectively manage the company's cash and securities position and drive any supplementary initiatives deemed necessary by the company;
- Remain informed about the business, put measurements and reporting dashboards into place enabling real time assessment of performance and 'what's over the horizon';
Recognizes when change is necessary; Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives; Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change; Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas while continuing to work on the day to day issues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
Bachelor Degree in Finance, Commerce or Administration with CA designation;
- Extensive experience in senior financial management roles including managing financial reporting and working with Board of Directors;
- Responsible for raising significant capital in the past;
- Championed the company through the various stages of an IPO;
- Extensive experience in Investors Relations, in successfully raising financing, and in developing contacts within the investment community;
- Experience in handling legal documentation, T&C’s, LOC’s, etc;
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems, U.S. GAAP and IFRS
- Experience in managing, supervising and leading personnel including accounting, finance, legal and compliance group;
- Participated in or lead commercial negotiations of any type relevant to the company's business plan;
- Has worked in the high-tech startup environment and understands the technologies, the environment and the challenges.
- Ideally the candidate will have been through a transitional growth phase ($0M to $20+M in revenues) and can assert themselves within the team on a variety of corporate executive decision;
- Numeracy and fluency with numbers and their relationships. Attention to detail critical;
- The ability to lead, to communicate clearly and articulately, to monitor and express strategy to investors, Board and Executive team;
- The ability to put value creation into perspective and know what makes the business tick - a strong business understanding;
- A minimum of 10 years of senior financial management experience preferably in a publicly traded company and a private investor backed organization;
- Generally interested in new technologies and emerging markets.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Market value salary that will include ownership