Consulting Services – Global Director, Infrastructure Planning & Advisory, Toronto
About the Company
Our client is a Canadian, employee-owned multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, project and construction management to the Mining, Metallurgical, Energy, and Infrastructure sectors. The firm has served clients for over 80 years and has project experience in more than 150 countries around the world. With over 9,000 people in over 65 offices, the firm has more than $35 billion in projects currently under management.
Our client is widely recognized for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. The firm is particularly known for working with senior client management to develop business strategies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning and ramp-ups.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results for its clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
Our client is currently seeking a highly accomplished Global Director – Infrastructure Planning & Advisory to lead a global team (with a presence in Canada, USA, Europe and South Africa) providing advisory and consulting services for a set of public and private clients pursuing major infrastructure investment programs and projects.
Based out of Toronto, the Global Director will lead a team mandated to find the best solutions for clients pursuing major infrastructure investment programs and projects across three market-facing infrastructure platforms: Urban Solutions, Transportation and Logistics, and Water and the Natural Environment.
Tasks focused on infrastructure investors and real estate developers:
- Analyzing the financial, technical, and risk profile of infrastructure projects to improve decision making and planning;
- Enabling land value uplift through effective infrastructure planning;
- Designing (and negotiating/implementing) partnerships between financiers, builders, operators and maintainers;
- Supporting the engagement of government(s) and other public stakeholders (i.e. transit agencies, procurement agencies, etc.)
Tasks focused on governments and public agencies:
- Assessing the optimal infrastructure strategy to achieve government’s financial, social, and environmental outcomes;
- Designing (and implementing) innovative approaches to effectively and defensibly procure private partners;
- Analyzing which PPP model should be used to deliver an infrastructure project (e.g. design-bid-build, design-build-finance, design-build-finance-operate-maintain, etc.);
- Defining the term sheets that establish what various parties will contribute to a public-private partnership, what risks they will take, what incentives they will have, and what penalties they will face;
- Consulting on how to optimize ongoing operations, maintenance, and contract management.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Global Director – Infrastructure Planning & Advisory:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Incorporates information about the organization's structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader organization.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- At least 10 years of progressive infrastructure and public private partnership consulting experience;
- Change/transformation leadership (initiate change, plan, project-manage, overcome resistance, making change stick);
- Very strong, concise, persuasive communication skills (reports, 1:1, meetings, public speaking);
- Able to make good decisions under pressure, and in extremely ambiguous circumstances;
- Consummate team builder and team player;
- Creative problem solver;
- University degree;
- Global thinker with multinational experience;
- Very strong leadership, management and organizational skills;
- High EQ (self-awareness, empathy, social skills, self-regulation, desire to learn);
- Resilient, confident, persistent;
- Comfortable analyzing and drawing conclusions from complex and multiple data sources;
- The firm is a global organization. The individual should be willing to travel internationally, and to conduct or attend meetings after hours to cater for global participation.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777