Consulting Services – Director, Indigenous Engagement, Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a Canadian, employee-owned multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, project and construction management to the Mining, Metallurgical, Energy, and Infrastructure sectors. The firm has served clients for over 80 years and has project experience in more than 150 countries around the world, delivering solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative.
Our client is widely recognized for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. The firm is particularly known for working with senior client management to develop business strategies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning and ramp-ups.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results for its clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
This is an exciting new leadership role to build a business practice around Indigenous Engagement (IE). IE is taking a more prominent role in large stakeholder projects across various markets in Canada and abroad. Reporting to the Managing Director of the Environmental Services Group (ESG), this person will take ownership of the company’s IE program, create a business strategy, and implement an IE consulting business. The role is located in the Greater Toronto Area however, Indigenous initiatives will be actively focusing on targets in the key growth markets across Canada and globally. This role is also accountable for leading the implementation of relevant strategies to engage Indigenous communities and businesses in other company projects, with benefits to both the company and to Indigenous stakeholders. Such strategies will position our client to become a leading service provider engaging with Indigenous communities and businesses.
This role is primarily external facing, developing a leading-edge IE practice and service offering for our external clients. The individual will also be responsible for company’s internal IE programs.
The Environmental Services Group provides scientific expertise and environmental, risk, social consulting, sustainability and management consultancy services throughout Canada and abroad.
- Develop and implement a business plan to build a revenue and profit generating consulting business around IE.
- Interact at VP and CEO level of clients to advise them on Indigenous Engagement.
- Provide subject matter expertise and coaching to business units/project teams working in, or near, Indigenous territories or communities, on engagements and opportunities.
- Identify Indigenous opportunities and capacity to participate with company's projects.
- Develop and support strategies to involve local Indigenous communities and encourage support from internal colleagues and clients.
- Coach and support regional operations with contracts, bids, and projects, as required.
- Work collaboratively and help educate project teams and business units to build relationships with Indigenous communities.
- Review, support, and monitor performance related to Indigenous participation, in collaboration with business units/project teams.
- Provide ongoing management of Indigenous vendor list for use on current and upcoming projects.
- Lead the interface with government agencies and departments, domestic and international, relating to the company's responses to questions or statements of position on Indigenous Engagement related matters.
- In collaboration with marketing team, create and update communication collateral for Indigenous communities related to the program.
- Work with business units in Mining & Metals, Infrastructure and Energy to enhance Indigenous knowledge and leadership in the business units and overall organization.
- Develop KPIs, metrics and data analytics to measure to IE business strategy.
- Identify and sponsor key Indigenous events and partnerships to enhance brand.
- Other duties as required.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific additional measures of performance will be discussed with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director – Indigenous Engagement:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- University undergraduate degree in Public Relations, Political Science, Communications, Environment or related discipline;
- Minimum 10 years of relevant industry experience, including the following:
- environmental, mining, infrastructure, energy and/or construction,
- working with Indigenous communities,
- managing large scale projects, procurement processes and associated contracts.
- Demonstrated experience developing reciprocal mutually beneficial business relationships
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate
- Our client is committed to fostering a workforce in each of their locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which they operate. They are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, they will do their utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.