Construction Infrastructure - Chief Financial Officer - GTA
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Publicly traded, our client provides design, engineering, construction and maintenance services to government entities, telecommunication firms as well as power and utilities businesses. Our client’s offerings include underground and aerial construction, inventory management, and technical services including fibre to the building and home.
Headquartered in the Greater Toronto Area our client has operations in Ontario and western Canada and is well poised to continue its impressive growth throughout Canada and beyond.
Scope of Position
As an integral member of the senior Leadership Team the CFO shall provide financial guidance and counsel on all matters relating to the finance function including strategic business planning, budgeting and forecasting, business analysis, and corporate growth strategies.
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO shall be responsible for the achievement of the organization’s strategic financial goals by working with the Leadership Team to develop and plan the goals, objectives and strategies of the company and to execute these plans with discipline and operational efficiencies achieving best in class status.
Functional Tasks/Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to the finance staff in the organization.
- Provides guidance and support to the co-CEOs on financial, business, and strategic matters.
- Provides sound financial advice and recommendations on strategic and operational issues, including business opportunities, expansion and/or business acquisition plans and capital structure.
- As part of the Leadership Team, actively participates, makes recommendations and provides analysis on the execution of the strategic plan and initiatives, attends appropriate Board meetings, and advises the co-CEOs and Board on matters affecting the operations of the company.
- Identifies profit improvement, growth opportunities, and opportunities for improving shareholder value and where appropriate gets actively engaged in implementing such opportunities.
- Analyzes the financial implications of issues, new initiatives, and changes in strategies, which impact the development of operational plans and develops recommendations.
- Has fiduciary responsibility to the board (audit committee) and regulators in addition to supporting the executive team.
Manages the Finance Department
- Ensures compliance with accounting and taxation requirements in a variety of jurisdictions.
- Continually monitors the tax structure and recommends changes when appropriate.
- Develops and ensures compliance with corporate policies and procedures and internal controls to protect corporate assets.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to employees. Determines the succession requirements for the department and identifies training, or on-the-job experiences required to advance internal employees.
- Sets objectives and assigns work, monitors progress and evaluates the performance of department employees.
- Manages the treasury function to ensure that working capital is available to deliver on the organization’s strategic objectives.
Manages the Enterprise Risk Management System
- Identifies and analyzes areas of risk; determines strategies and tactical plans and assigns accountabilities to mitigate corporate risk.
- Manages the process to determine corporate insurance needs and negotiates plans and annual renewals with brokers. Negotiates insurance claims when they arise.
- Identifies areas of risk that can be hedged through financial instruments and devises and recommends hedging strategies.
Manages the system of Internal Controls and the Controllership function
- Ensures that internal controls are effective.
- Identifies processes that require enhanced control and in consultation with leadership team implements such controls.
- Actively involved in the process of capital expenditure approvals.
Participates in the development and execution of Merger and Acquisition (M&A) strategies
- Leads the financial due diligence of M&A targets, evaluates/models the potential financial contribution/risk of potential targets.
- Conducts a risk assessment of all proposed transactions and develops a financing structure to mitigate any inherent risks.
- Leads the tax structuring/accounting requirements of potential transactions.
- Develops and maintains relationships with corporate banks to secure financing for acquisition and growth plans, as required.
- Liaises with banks and investment advisors to raise equity capital and debt.
Leads the development of management reporting tools, including plans, budgets, reports, and financial statements
- Manages the preparation, delivery and analysis of monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial statements and reports.
- Manages the preparation and delivery of external reports for public consumption.
- Ensures compliance of financial reporting in accordance with GAAP and IFRS.
- Co-ordinates quarterly meetings of the Audit Committee of the Board, including preparation and review of applicable materials.
- Co-ordinates the development and approval of annual budgets for all business units. Ensures the budgets are linked to and meet the requirements of the strategic plan.
- Manages the preparation of financial analysis against plan, co-ordinates the preparation of “Latest Estimates” reports, forecasts cash requirements, and ensures the provision of variance explanations.
Manages Corporate Investor Relations Program
- Participates in the Investor Relations program and in investor presentations including presenting at seminars and conducting individual presentations for major investors.
- Represents the organization to debt holders by participating in presentations and analysts’ calls.
- Manages the delivery of investor and shareholder communications and annual and quarterly reports.
Leads the strategic direction and then delivery of corporate Information Technology
- Accountable for the reliable delivery of IT services.
- Leads the Executive Team to determine IT strategy, organizational requirements, service offerings and processes and to evaluate IT expenditures.
Maintains professional and technical knowledge
- Participates in educational workshops, reviews professional publications, establishes personal networks and conducts research to identify and benchmark industry best practices.
The following competencies are core to success in the role of Chief Financial Officer at the company:
- Possesses clear emphasis on shareholder value, profitability and competitive advantage
- Demonstrates and leverages knowledge of market conditions, competitors and peer organizations as well as the financial underpinnings of the business
- Ability to put together thoughtful, succinct business analysis to drive strategic business decisions
- Looks for continuous improvement opportunities
- Utilizes effective judgment
- Exercises a critical thought process
- Aggressively pursues opportunities by encouraging risk taking within the boundaries of accountabilities and capabilities
- Develops innovative strategies to address future market/business scenarios and creates actionable plans
- Discusses the impact of large-scale trends and how they have an impact on the business
- Demonstrates a conceptual and analytical thinking style; possesses a foundation for strategic thinking
- Promotes an effective team-based environment
Executing for Results
- Possesses an extensive and distinctive track record of solid performance, achieving ambitious targets for his/her area of responsibility
- Maintains high standards of performance for himself/herself and others
- Seeks continuous improvement opportunities
- Possesses high levels of energy, endurance and resilience
- Demonstrates a high level of accountability, going beyond conventional performance benchmarks; possesses initiative
- Role models continuous improvement by striving to improve self
- Develops loyalty in direct reports and broader teams
- Proactively coaches and mentors direct reports and other individuals
- Has built a team of diverse talents that complement one another
Building Relationships & Using Influence
- Balances data, personality and positional power when influencing others
- Self-assured; communicates arguments and ideas in an articulate and compelling manner
- Builds rapport and relates to all audiences; has a highly adaptable communication style
- Has earned others’ trust and respect and is seen as credible
- Solicits the opinions of others, when appropriate, before making a decision
- Maintains a level-headed perspective, viewing conflict as a positive tool
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables
- Bachelor Degree in Finance, Commerce or Administration with CA or equivalent designation
- A minimum of 10-15 years of progressive, hands-on experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning, including in-depth analysis of corporate business data
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience working in highly entrepreneurial, fast-faced and demanding environments; experience working in a publicly traded company
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under pressure
- Presents quick decision-making skills
- Deep understanding of complex financial instruments such as securitizations/syndications, derivatives, swaps and hedges
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct
Remuneration & Benefits
- A competitive compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.
For more information, please contact
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233