THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a fast-growing publicly traded Ontario-based technology company with revenues in excess of $50mm.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Vice-President of Finance plans, directs, controls and coordinates the overall financial activities of the company with direct responsibility for Treasury and Cash Management, Tax and Regulatory Compliance, Accounting & Reporting, Systems, Planning, Forecasting, Budgeting, and the consolidation of all financial reporting information.
The Vice-President Finance will lead a staff, direct and participate in the accounting function in reviewing the appropriateness of financial systems, internal controls and management information reporting such that the Company’s assets are safe guarded, costs controlled, and assets deployed in the most efficient manner. The Vice-President Finance will assume responsibility for managing and supporting daily cash flow, investments and credit lines to maximize productivity of the company’s financial resources.
The Vice-President Finance will assist in the development of the corporate financial strategy, ensuring that adequate financial resources are available to accomplish its business mission. He/she will also assist in the assessment and review of costs to mitigate risks and help increase shareholder value.
The Vice-President Finance will prepare the consolidated budget and spearhead the financial planning efforts through coordination with operational and regional executives and their financial managers, to develop the long-range plans and the appropriate annual operating plan. He/she will provide strategic business analysis and advice beyond the compilation of numbers.
Along with the other senior executives, the Vice-President Finance will accurately and completely support the CFO’s efforts to represent the Company to investors, lenders and the financial community.
• Corporate financial reporting and management preparing periodic consolidated financial statements in accordance with GAAP, including reporting for investors, bankers and others on a timely basis. Also directs preparation of all public reporting information and presentation to the CFO, Audit Committee and Board of Directors for review and approval on a timely basis. Responsible for developing consolidated short and long term financial plans and forecasts as well as overseeing a corporate and regional controllers and support staff who are charged with the following:
• Oversee and assist in the consolidation of monthly financial statements, audited reports and records of the Company.
• Co-ordinate all audit and related activities with external auditors and communications with Audit Committee as required.
• Review and oversee proper control systems to ensure accuracy and timeliness of all financial reporting.
• Coordinate audits of records with outside accounting firm.
• Perform cost accounting, ratio analysis and financial consolidation of geographical units as required with an eye on reducing costs and improving profitability.
• Oversee the development and implementation of consolidated risk management plan with senior management and outside vendors.
• Tax and Regulatory Compliance
• Oversees preparation and filing of all federal and provincial income tax returns for the Company.
• Direct tax planning and reporting, including the identification of tax savings opportunities, R&D funding and government grants.
• Oversee preparation and filing of all appropriate federal, provincial, state and country tax returns
• Oversees preparation and filing of all appropriate government pension forms and related documentation.
• Ensure compliance with all outside regulatory agencies and organizations. Coordinates with other department heads to assist with compliance issues as they arise.
• Preparation of taxes for federal and provincial reporting.
• Treasury and Cash Management
• Daily cash management/banking covenants.
• Act as key contact with banking and lending community.
• Assist the CFO with development and instituting of long and short term borrowing plans with outside sources.
• Institute cash management policies to maximize short term yield.
• Foreign exchange, global currency issues
• Review and improve formal credit policies.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• To be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• Strong communication skills, with the ability to influence, motivate and direct support staff.
• Chartered Accountant (CA), CMA or related financial designation
• Minimum 10-15 years progressive financial experience in public corporate environment, preferrably related to the technology sector.
• Knowledge of good Corporate Governance Practices, including corporate conduct and business ethics.
• A balance of strategic vision and hands-on experience.
• Strong leadership, work ethic, mentoring and team-building qualities.
• Committed, tough-minded, pragmatic, performance-driven personality though one that strives to partner with and support line management in achieving their goals.
• A solid track record of good judgment and prudent risk taking.
• Ability to work closely with the CFO and develop a high level of mutual trust.
• Autonomous and self motivated with ability to take charge and work with out supervision or guidance.
• Financial control experience in a rapid growth public company.
Remuneration & Benefits
• Competitive base salary plus bonus, benefits, and stock options. Excellent opportunity for job growth and advancement.