Communications and Information Solutions - Managing Director, Ottawa
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Client
Our client is a leading international communication and information solution provider who operate in mission critical/safety environments such as Air Traffic Control, Public Safety Emergency Services, Railways, Defence and Maritime. Represented in markets around the world the company develops and delivers fail-safe, user friendly, custom tailored solutions that empower their customers to efficiently perform control room focused tasks. The firm’s reputation for excellence, uncompromising quality and innovation make it an undisputed leader in its sector and markets.
As part of a planned transition, our client is now seeking a talented results-driven manager with strong business development focus to build upon the success of their Canadian office.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Vice-President International, the Managing Director is responsible to position our client’s services and products in Canada holding the full P&L responsibility and providing support and empowerment to employees to reach company objectives. The position is hands-on and leads from the front.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and market leader
- Highly innovative technology
- Growing market opportunity
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Strategic planning of business development activities with defined market goals in the Canadian market
- Assess local markets by verticals, identify current and prospective opportunities and develop forecasts, financial objectives and business plans for the local company.
- Sales and capture management
- Manage and enhance the team, developing and encouraging it along the way
- Further strengthen and maintain customer relationships, from project to executive level, including executive relationships.
- Follow policies and procedures eg. Managing staff according to the firm’s leadership guidelines. Demonstrate compliance with planning guidelines etc.
- Build relationships within the Canadian ecosystem that can be leveraged for the benefit of the company.
- Maintain close relationship with Headquarters and other international offices in North America and other locations. Share information on effective practices, competitive intelligence, business opportunities and needs.
- Pro-active sales activities to support key customers and acquire new projects
- Business Development to support continuous revenue growth
- Instill an intensely customer service mindset within the organization
- Spearhead the commercial agreements and sustainable relationships with potential customers.
- Remain abreast of competitive offerings, pricing and distribution strategies. Make recommendations to ensure positioning of existing technologies is optimized.
- Collect and translate market feedback into a practical product roadmap going forward including a plan for developing and/or partnering in order to secure future additions to the product suite that will ensure ongoing growth and profitability.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Strategic metrics: Ensuring that offerings align with market requirements and opportunities
- Financial metrics: attainment of revenues and profitability targets through a strong focus on management, costs, processes and revenue growth.
- Team Metrics: Building overall effectiveness of the team along with morale.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Managing Director:
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Adopts an energetic approach; Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks; Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum 7 years of professional business development experience, preferably with Air Traffic or Defence related firms
- Previous position as MD, Sales Manager, BD Manager, Country Manager or similar role preferred
- Excellent knowledge of the Canadian industry segments addressed by our client
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong leadership abilities
- A dynamic and self-motivated person with structured working style who can achieve results without much supervision
- A bias for action
- Engineering degree or related preferred