Cervelo Cycles Inc. - Managing Director / CEO - Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Recognized internationally as makers of the world’s finest high-performance bicycles, Cervelo Cycles continues to innovate its way to being the bicycle of choice among both cycling’s professional elite and serious amateurs.
Readers of VeloNews, CycleSport, Inside Triathlon and Slowtwitch (all publications for serious cyclists and triathletes) all voted Cervélo as the #1 brand they intend to purchase in 2011.
Established in 1995 by Phil White and Gérard Vroomen, today Cervélo is the largest triathlon bike manufacturer in the world and partners with the world's most established and successful triathlon team, Team TBB and one of the world's top pro road cycling teams, Team Garmin-Barracuda.
Cervelo was acquired by Dutch company PON Holdings in February 2012 and is one of three bicycle brands forming part of PON Bicycle Group. The others are Royal Dutch Gazelle and Derby Cycle both of which are located and operate in Europe.
For further information visit: www.cervelo.com
Scope of Position
With a well earned reputation and highly prized position among professional cyclists and triathletes the world over, Cervelo seeks a commercially astute Managing Director /CEO, responsible for driving the company’s growth strategy as well as overseeing all day to day operations.
Cervelo boasts growing core markets, a preeminent and uniquely positioned global brand, a myriad of new market opportunities, a highly dedicated and passionate team and a committed ownership.
Reporting to the PON Bicycle Group Board (PBGB), the successful candidate will have full profit and loss accountability in growing the business.
- Collaborating with PBGB’s management committee, develop and execute upon the company’s strategic and financial goals and objectives;
- Manage all aspects of day to day operations, including sales, marketing, product development and design, supply chain, procurement and logistics;
- Develop and manage expectations of the company’s distribution and dealer network , providing proactive leadership to identify and remedy problems before they escalate;
- Plan and direct the operational priorities, goals, policies, practices and initiatives in accordance with the goals and strategic direction of the company;
- Build personal credibility within the organization through strong management and interpersonal skills, sound business judgment, and genuine care and concern for colleagues and employees;
- Integrate and prioritize the corporate goals and strategies into organizational plans, schedules and metrics against which performance can be measured;
- Lead the expansion of the company business and brand into new markets, engaging with all internal and external strategic stakeholders as necessary;
- Monitor, measure and report in a timely manner on operating results;
- Ensure, people, structure and processes are aligned and optimized to achieve stated goals;
- Work with PBGB and members of the company’s senior management team to continually refine, implement and monitor the strategic plan.
- Work with other PBGB stakeholders in identifying collaborative and synergistic opportunities to drive operational efficiencies and leverage each stakeholders capabilities for the broader benefit of all PBGB constituents.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Judicious introduction and implementation of processes and systems to ensure the company can scale and maintain growth;
- Establish confidence throughout the value chain with all stakeholders including employees, suppliers, distributors, dealers etc;
- Introduce and grow the Cervelo brand into new markets including APAC, ME and South America;
- Ensure the timely launch and introduction of new products to market.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Managing Director /CEO at Cervelo Cycles Inc.
Delegates responsibility to match the skill and ability level of team members. Provides others with the scope and resources necessary in order to complete assignments effectively. Creates an environment where individuals have the latitude to use their discretion.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor's products, services and position.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelors degree; MBA would be highly desirable
- Minimum of 10 years of business experience, with at least 3 to 5 years in the Bike Industry, preferably high end road bikes and 5 to 8 years at management level
- Hands-on experience managing core business areas including Supply Chain, Marketing, Sales, Customer Service and Engineering
- Possesses solid analytic and strategic planning abilities
- A strong negotiator combing excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills with an ability to nurture trust and empower others
- Preference will be given to individuals with: -a broad general management background; -a proven track record of scaling small entrepreneurial organizations and successfully integrating such companies into larger more complex international businesses
- A results-oriented management style that leverages the strengths of the existing team while stretching and motivating them in attaining breakthrough results.