Social Networking/Internet - CEO, Vancouver
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.About the Company
Our client is among Canada’s most successful social networking/internet companies. Repeatedly lauded for the calibre of its online communities our client’s global presence provides it with exposure to billions of people.
Our client’s broad addressable markets are sizeable with industry experts predicting continued growth well into the foreseeable future. The firm’s specific target markets also continue to grow and evolve creating exciting opportunities for future growth. Our client’s mission is to deliver the highest value to its customers with unparalleled industry solutions built on innovative technologies, deep technical knowledge and feature-rich applications.
Our client is Vancouver-based and boasts blue-chip ownership. The position will be based in Vancouver.
Scope of Position
Our client is currently undertaking a search for an executive to lead the company through its next stage of growth. The successful candidate inherits a dynamic, profitable company with a large and loyal customer base, a motivated team and the opportunity to make a real difference.
Owning the strategy and driving its execution will be the responsibility of the Chief Executive Officer. The CEO will lever the company’s positioning, momentum and growing markets to significantly accelerate revenues, while delivering operational excellence to enable that growth. It is expected that the successful candidate will bring a driving, hands-on, ‘lead from the front’ professional management approach to that task while nurturing a collaborative organizational culture.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and company growth
- Committed financial backing
- Highly entrepreneurial environment
- An opportunity to make an impact
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the company to ensure the timely implementation and execution of the business and financial plans.
- Architect the organization ensuring that it has in place the human resources, processes and operational capabilities by which to scale and the corporate culture to outperform.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the team. Paint a vision for the company internally that motivates staff and continues to build world-class capabilities. Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth of the business, new market development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Improve and increase brand awareness to drive the revenue and build process with substantive rapid growth as the goal. Refine and align processes to that goal.
- Oversee and drive all positioning and messaging activities as it relates to all brand related matters.
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality, and that they meet the cost objectives that are established; report on a monthly as well as a quarterly basis.
- Remain abreast of the industry, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive pursued.
- Adapt business model to capitalize on evolving customer needs and new competitive offerings. Drive the product vision to evolve the customer experience.
- Ensure that appropriate systems and processes are in place and continuously monitored and refined to capture relevant data allowing the business to drive better analytical capabilities and more insightful and timely decisions.
Key Performance Deliverables
- Grow top-line and bottom-line by 10%+ per year over next 3-5 years.
- Grow sign-ups and MAU by mid to high single digits over next 3-5 years.
- Low attrition, high engagement from staff.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches. Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following describes industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills with a bias for action.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience in leadership capacities with at least five years in a CEO/President/COO, SVP or GM role with specific P&L responsibilities.
- Preference will be given to individuals with previous experience in a consumer-focused technology/internet/social media based company.
- Apolitical leader with a track record of working with mid-sized companies driving accelerated revenue growth over extended periods.
- Proven experience with appropriate financial, market and business acumen in scaling businesses.
- Recognizes the complimentary roles of data and judgment in decision making and planning with an aptitude to analyze product and marketing as a continuum of the consumer relationship.
- A charismatic, inspirational leader rather than a manager.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base, variable and equity compensation package to the successful candidate