Banking - Director Adjudication Small Business Banking
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the company
Our client is a mid-sized financial institution and one of the largest new banks in Canada. The company has grown rapidly over the past few years and continues to add to its client base. Our Client serves their clients across Canada in all provinces and territories. With a high-quality loan portfolio, the majority of loans being in residential mortgages, our Client is a profitable and well-capitalized organization. As part of that growth the company is looking to add a new Director, Adjudicating Small Business Banking.
Our Client has grown rapidly over the past few years and continues to add to its client base. As part of that growth the company is looking for leaders to help establish a new Credit Adjudication Department. The role is a new position within the company and will play a key role to help lead the Bank’s strategic expansion into the Small Business Banking market and segment. This is a unique opportunity to help create a department and shape the processes and practices that the organization uses, drawing on your expertise in credit adjudication.
Reporting to the AVP Credit Risk, the Director Adjudication Small Business Lending has the primary responsibility to approve or decline credit applications in accordance with delegated lending limits and the company’s established credit risk appetite and tolerances. Provide appropriate and realistic recommendations and develop action plans outlining corrective actions to be taken to mitigate risk and exposure. The Director is responsible for ensuring compliance with credit policies and practices.
- Exercise discretionary lending limits as delegated to approve credit risk ratings and decision credit applications. Review and analyze commercial loan and mortgage applications, together with supporting documentation, to ensure compliance with the company’s policies, guidelines and regulatory requirements. Ensure the analysis is independent, accurate and thorough and recommendations address issues and exceptions that mitigate the company’s risk and exposure.
- Maintain the quality of the credit portfolio under your jurisdiction to ensure the portfolio performs within the company’s established risk appetite and applicable regulatory requirements. Minimize loan losses by performing sound credit analysis and adjudication.
- Collaborate and act as a liaison between the various business partners to further success of the risk partnership. Suggest changes to the structuring of transactions to strengthen the company’s position in case of default. Provide advice and guidance to colleagues on credit risk issues.
- Prepare credit proposals above delegated lending limits for approval by the appropriate individual, committee or Board of Directors.
- Assist in the development and revision of appropriate policies and guidelines to ensure alignment with the company’s risk appetite and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Support the internal and external audit process as directed by the AVP, Credit Risk and liaison as appropriate with various stakeholders and regulators. Ensure satisfactory audits from internal and external sources.
- Ensure transactions are processed in a timely and efficient manner to achieve the highest level of performance and service excellence.
- Drive change, enhance origination and adjudication quality and help build an enhanced risk based culture within the company.
Preffered Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum 10+ years of progressive credit risk, underwriting and adjudication experience within a Small Business (commercial lending) environment.
- Knowledge of the Canadian insurance industry, leverage loans and insurance policy lending.
- University degree in Business or Finance, MBA preferred.
- Bilingual candidate preferred.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods.
Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately. Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience.
Adapts management style to achieve optimum results. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction.
Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results. Recognizes when change is necessary.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others Mobilizes people into action. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view.
Problem Solving /Analytical Skills
Develops several explanations or alternatives. Divides problems into their individual elements. Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect