Automation Technologies - General Manager- Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our Client is an international automation supplier. It is an independent family-owned group of companies, established in 1948 in Europe. The company has 28 wholly owned sales subsidiaries with entities in over 30 countries worldwide.
Our Client operates internationally as a leader in safe automation technology and services. Our client is also however constantly developing itself as a total solutions supplier for all aspects of automation. Products include relays, configurable and programmable systems, Ethernet systems, sensor technology, control and signaling devices, measuring and monitoring devices, text displays and HMI terminals. Automation solutions with motion control and camera based sensor solutions are also available.
Our client has been active in the Canadian market for many years through its own staff managed by its US operations. Our client decided to open its own Canadian organization several years ago to support Canadian customers with local stock and support in both English and French.
Our client is set for further growth with planned expansion of its sales team and staff delivering the full range of its products and services portfolio.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Vice-President International Sales, the General Manager is responsible to position our client’s services and products in Canada holding the full P&L responsibility and providing support and empowerment to employees to reach company objectives.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and market leader
- Highly innovative technology
- Growing market opportunity
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Operate the subsidiary as a profit centre in the sales and services area.
- Develop the Solution Supplier Approach by implementing services delivery structures for Consultancy, Engineering, Training
- Analyze and develop the Canadian market, its individual segments for services and industrial automation equipment in the following aspects:
- Safety relays, Configurable safety systems, Programmable control systems
- User and Application Software
- sensors / sensor systems
- Industrial communication systems
- Motion Control Systems- Our Client’s services
- Manage and enhance the team, developing and encouraging it along the way
- Establish Sales Channel Management with direct and indirect sales structure for the entire products and services and customer range with the implementation of a clear pricing strategy and distribution policy
- Maintain close relationship with our Client’s Headquarters and international offices, It is required that the Managing Director is active in pursuing a very close contact with the referred clients
- Pro-active sales activities to support key customers and acquire new projects
- Business Development to support continuous revenue growth
- Instill an intensely customer service mindset within the organization
- Spearhead the commercial agreements and sustainable relationships with potential customers.
- Remain abreast of competitive offerings, pricing and distribution strategies. Make recommendations to ensure positioning of existing technologies is optimized.
- Collect and translate market feedback into a practical product roadmap going forward including a plan for developing and/or partnering in order to secure future additions to the product suite that will ensure ongoing growth and profitability.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Strategic metrics: Ensuring that product offerings align with market requirements
- Financial metrics: attainment of costs and profitability targets through a strong focus on management, costs, processes and revenue growth.
- Team Metrics: Building overall effectiveness of the team along with morale
The following competencies listed below define the role of General Manager
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Adopts an energetic approach; Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks; Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience, preferably with international companies.
- Previous position as MD, Sales Manager, BD Manager, Country Manager or similar role
- Excellent knowledge of the Canadian market and industry segments
- Must have industry experience such as end-user markets ie. Food and Beverage, Consumer products and in the field of OEM market for machinery
- Preferable service experience (such as automation engineering, system integration)
- Project management experience beneficial
- Product experience preferable – eg. Automation products for the factory/process industry; safe automation
- Willingness to travel as required including to Europe or other subsidiaries or international customers
- Willingness to travel to Europe for initial training
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Strong leadership abilities
- A dynamic and self-motivated person with structured working style who can achieve results without much supervision
- Technical Sales, Sales Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- High Knowledge in handling project business
- Ability in development of customer-orientated solutions
- Management with MBO approach
- P&L / Budgeting capabilities
- Ability to lead international projects/key accounts
- Excellent intercultural communication capabilities
- Software Tools: Lotus Notes, MS Office, SAP-R3
Remuneration & Benefits
Highly competitive base plus variable compensation package