Automation Company - Director Technical Solutions, Canada
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a successful automation company based in Southern Ontario. The company has developed an excellent reputation in the marketplace for innovative products and systems with a repeat customer base close to 90%. To facilitate the ongoing growth the company is looking for a Director of Technical Solutions to lead the continuing development of innovative client solutions.
Scope of Position
Reporting into the COO, the Director of Technical Solutions will oversee the organization’s custom automation development processes from a technical perspective, providing technical guidance to a team of designers throughout the process from inception through to delivery and customer operation.
The Director will be responsible for the following:
- Working with the sales organization to ensure that initial concepts are realistic, cost-effective, and workable.
- Collaborating closely with the Lead Designer on projects to refine the overall concept and start the creation of detailed station designs.
- Work closely with designers on challenging parts of the project providing guidance and ideas.
- Reviewing the detail of the designs.
- Mentoring and guiding designers and engineers in the technical development process and problem solving.
- Participating in all design reviews and ensuring that the overall concept is as planned and that all the stations will work together effectively.
- Using the design reviews as a platform to technically guide and mentor designers and all staff involved in a project.
- Working with the production staff and designers on issues that arise during the manufacturing process to ensure that problems are dealt with quickly and efficiently.
- If appropriate, working with the client during the commissioning of the machinery, troubleshooting issues that may arise.
- As appropriate, be involved in the overall management and development of the technical staff of the business.
- Contribute to the overall technical strategy of the company and the acquisition of new technical capabilities.
- Monitor and stay abreast of key developments in the industry including supplier innovations that may be useful for ongoing client needs.
- Understand and assist with the management of the financial implications of technical decisions made within the business.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director:
Detailed comprehension of mechanical principles as they apply to manufacturing automation. Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Effective communicator one-on-one or in a meeting environment. Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience
Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements. Challenges existing assumptions. Generates new ideas. Goes beyond the status quo. Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses technical strengths and development needs of employees. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging technical learning opportunities.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- 10 – 15 years of experience in automation product development.
- Proven ability to successfully bring new, innovative products from concept to market, on-time, and on-budget.
- Technical expertise in mechanical or systems design.
- Engineering degree is highly preferred.
Remuneration & Benefits
Highly competitive base, and variable compensation based on individual contribution.