Utilities - Senior Director, Internal Audit
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.About the Company
Our client owns and operates a diversified $3.0 billion portfolio of regulated and non-regulated utilities in North America. The company actively invests in hydroelectric, wind and solar power facilities, and sustainable utility distribution businesses (water, electricity and natural gas) through its two operating subsidiaries.
Scope of Position
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer and the Audit Committee, the Senior Director of Internal Audit will lead and oversee all strategic and tactical aspects of Internal Audit for the company. Working across all functional groups, including, operations, trading, finance, treasury, compliance, sales and marketing and legal, the successful candidate will represent and facilitate a strong environment of internal control throughout the organization.
- Responsible for designing, developing and delivering on the our client's annual Audit Services program and lead the development of the specific internal audit plans.
- Oversee all internal audit activities, providing services that include the full scope of financial, operational and technology audits of the key business processes and functional areas.
- Manage new system implementation audits and coordination of all audit related special projects.
- Provide leadership for the development and establishment of ‘best-practices’ in methodologies, procedures and policies.
- Facilitate departmental self-assessments across all the companies and operating units.
- Ensure all internal audit activities are appropriately aligned and efficiently functioning and meeting the expectations of management and the Audit Committee.
- Identify areas of improvement and develop recommendations to strengthen the internal controls and processes throughout the organization.
- Participate in the company-wide risk assessment process including the identification and documentation of objectives and risks.
- Manage, develop and mentor the department of internal audit employees, establishing a high performance team.
- Direct the external auditors to provide comprehensive coverage of key business risks and controls.
- Oversee the development of Audit reports that are clear and provide value to management, and also contribute to the preparation, review, and editing of regulatory submissions
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- To be agreed upon within a reasonable period after commencement.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Senior Director, Internal Audit
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Adopts an energetic approach. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Aims to improve upon past performance. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A graduate degree in business administration with a professional designation such as a CA, CGA is highly desirable.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience in Governance, Risk, & Control (GRC) including 5 or more years leading the Internal Audit department in a medium to large operationally diverse company.
- Have had significant experience reporting directly to C-suite management and Audit Committees.
- Must have exceptionally strong technical skills in Internal Audit processes and methodologies.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change and brings a proven track record of success in helping to develop and execute enterprise-wide programs that requires gaining management commitment and assisting others in adapting to new ways of doing business.
- Able to understand and articulate the relationship between strategy, risk and value. Adept in translating strategy into execution and operational success factors.
- Effective at communicating issues to all stakeholders using the most appropriate messaging.
- Strong planning and project management skills with a strong ability to apply analytics, accounting practices, management principles and best-practices.
- Skilled in selecting, developing, and leading staff, and known for ability to improve internal audit standards and practices to ensure top quality service.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive and innovative compensation package which will be discussed with serious candidates