Aerospace – Director/Manager, Human Resources, Toronto
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a Toronto-based world-class designer and manufacturer of advanced microwave, millimeter-wave and electro-optic components and sub-systems.
Our client was founded in 1992 on a mission to provide high reliability, cutting-edge RF solutions. The company has grown by focusing on customer success and by assembling a fully-integrated, skilled team of experts in high frequency circuits and systems, communication and radar subsystem design, engineering and custom manufacturing.
The firm is uniquely vertically integrated through all key functions including RFIC design in GaAs, GaN, SiGe and CMOS, thin film manufacturing, automated HMIC (Hybrid Microwave Integrated Circuit) Assembly, CNC machining, PC Board population, and system integration and test, allowing responsive, high quality support of customers’ demanding requirements. The firm’s expertise in developing customized RF and electro-optic sensing and communications solutions makes our client a critical partner in commercial aerospace, defense, industrial, medical, space and SatCom markets.
Our client consistently invests heavily in IR&D and boasts a large engineering team with most having advanced degrees in their realms of specialization. In the past few years our client has further augmented its R&D footprint by developing strategic research partnerships at selected universities in Canada and the US.
Our client occupies a 65,000 square foot state-of-the-art engineering and manufacturing facility in Toronto including Class 1000 to 10,000 clean rooms. The firm’s systems maintain compliance to AS9100C and ISO9001:2008 and encompass all the core capabilities needed for end-to-end electronic product development, redesign and life cycle maintenance. The firm also maintains a second facility in Canada.
To best serve US customers with ITAR restrictions, and to provide a 2nd source with identical capability, our client has also established a US-based design and manufacturing facility focused on MMIC and high power device design.
Scope of Position
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Manager/Director of Human Resources will be responsible for nurturing and supporting a culture that attracts, motivates and retains the firm’s human capital. This will include guiding and supporting the organization on all HR matters to meet its strategic objectives and goals for profitability and growth. In addition, this Manager/Director of Human Resources will also be responsible for overseeing the company’s legal matters as applied to the firm’s human resources.
This mandate is truly “transformational’, driving change and improvements throughout the organization to allow them to keep growing. With no shortage of opportunities to contribute, this role will appeal to individuals with boundless energy and ambition looking to make an impact while growing both personally and professionally.
The Manager/Director will manage Human Resources to support both head office and distributed business operations. He/she will serve as a member of the management team and be involved in the overall planning and management of the organizational mission, goals and priorities. He/she will work with the support of the Leadership Team in an effort to consistently provide the support, guidance, and resources necessary to create a great place to work for all employees.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Direct all functional activities of the Human Resources department including:
- Recruiting and staffing;
- Performance management and improvement systems;
- Organization development;
- Employment and compliance to regulatory concerns regarding employees;
- Employee Relations;
- Employee communications;
- Compensation and Benefits administration;
- Employee safety, welfare, and wellness;
- Policy development;
- Partner with the senior leadership executive team, department managers and employees to identify and address the critical HR needs of the organization and achieve an effective long range HR strategy;
- Work in compliance with Provincial Authorities, WCB, legal counsel, as well as working closely with service providers such as benefits providers, recruitment agencies, etc;
- Direct the Human Resources department staff;
- Research and evaluate best-practices in Human Resources management policies, procedures, methodologies, and metrics;
- Establish benchmarks for organizational effectiveness, employee performance, training and career development, health and benefits, employee relations and payroll;
- Lead the development of, and effectively manage and integrate HR policies and programs including performance reviews, succession planning, career development, performance management, goal setting and reviews, training and mentoring, employee benefits, employee handbook, etc;
- Counsel and work with senior leadership team to ensure compensation plans are competitive and promote attitudes and behaviors that support the firm’s goals and values;
- Drive initiatives to accelerate integration of new employees, align workforce around goals and priorities, and instill an HR culture of continuous improvement, while monitoring and measuring compliance and engagement;
- Work with the CEO and other senior leaders to define and effectively communicate organizational values to drive culture of service, professionalism and performance excellence;
- Develop HR strategies to identify and address competency, knowledge, talent and performance gaps;
- Develop recruitment and retention strategies to attract and retain top talent;
- Assess and upgrade current training programs; launch management mentoring initiatives to support employee growth and development. Identify and stretch high potential talent;
- Field employee surveys to assess and monitor employee engagement on key initiatives such as culture;
- Create and manage employee recognition and awards programs;
- Manage the firm’s health and safety programs against best practices in the sector.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Manager/Director of Human Resources:
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Encourages others by creating enthusiasm, a feeling of investment and a desire to excel. Inspires a healthy attitude to work by recognizing positive contributions.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skilfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support; Balances personal goals with those of the team; Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A bachelor's degree in Human Resources or equivalent.
- 5+ years of broad-based and progressive experience in a general human resources senior leadership role.
- Demonstrated success in leading a strategic, transformative HR function.
- Experience in communicating and presenting progressive HR strategies and plans to senior management.
- Ability to support ideas and plans with appropriate facts and data.
- Recognized for abilities to manage significant change of corporate cultures.
- Proven leadership and management skills with a knowledge of current industry best-practices.
- Results orientation, proactive and possessing a drive to succeed.
- Able to influence others and effect change of direction, while keeping participants fully engaged.
- Must be capable of interfacing effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Possess excellent communications skills, strong organizational skills, and well-developed tact and diplomacy.
- Must be a team player.
- Experience in privately owned mid-sized businesses.
- Strategic planning.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills and integrity.
- Creative and forwarding thinking.
- Strong facilitation skills.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.