Aerospace - Director of Quality
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a Toronto-based world-class designer and manufacturer of advanced microwave, millimeter-wave and electro-optic components and sub-systems.
Our client was founded in 1992 on a mission to provide high reliability, cutting-edge RF solutions. The company has grown by focusing on customer success and by assembling a fully-integrated, skilled team of experts in high frequency circuits and systems, communication and radar subsystem design, engineering and custom manufacturing.
The firm is uniquely vertically integrated through all key functions including RFIC design in GaAs, GaN ,SiGe and CMOS, thin film manufacturing, automated HMIC (Hybrid Microwave Integrated Circuit) Assembly, CNC machining, PC Board population, and system integration and test, allowing responsive, high quality support of customers’ demanding requirements. The firm’s expertise in developing customized RF and electro-optic sensing and communications solutions makes our client a critical partner in commercial aerospace, defense, industrial, medical, space and SatCom markets.
Our client consistently invests heavily in IR&D and boasts a large engineering team with most having advanced degrees in their realms of specialization In the past few years, our client has further augmented its R&D footprint by developing strategic research partnerships at selected universities in Canada and the US.
Our client occupies a 65,000 square foot state-of-the-art engineering and manufacturing facility in Toronto including Class 1000 to 10,000 clean rooms. The firm’s systems maintain compliance to AS9100C and ISO9001:2008 and encompass all the core capabilities needed for end-to-end electronic product development, redesign and life cycle maintenance. The firm also maintains a second facility in Canada.
To best serve US customers with ITAR restrictions, and to provide a 2nd source with identical capability, our client has also established a US-based design and manufacturing facility focused on MMIC and high power device design.
Scope of the Position
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Director of Quality will oversee key business processes and staff tasked with ensuring the very highest process and product quality. This will involve cultivating an uncompromising ‘Zero Quality Escape (ZQE)’ culture with its accompanying rigour and discipline that will continue to differentiate our client in the marketplace.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and company growth
- Proven, innovative technology
- A successful organization with committed ownership
- Highly entrepreneurial culture
- A highly educated and diverse employee structure
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Lead overall Quality Management function in the company
- Support, train, mentor and coach management, supervisors, team leaders and operators in best-of-class space and defense quality practices
- Implement best-in-class space and defense quality principles, processes and tools across the organization
- Establish and implement a system and tools with which to measure continuous quality improvement projects. Monitor completed projects to ensure expected benefits are fully realized and sustained.
- Work with our client’s senior management in assessing the current state of the company’s quality systems and take leadership role in developing future state vision and implementation plan consistent with the company’s business objectives.
- Take ownership for the overall ‘quality’ culture in the company.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director Quality.
Strives for excellence in products, processes and/or services through continued evaluation, enhancement and redefinition of quality standards.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has a thorough knowledge of relevant standards and techniques. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long-term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far-reaching ideas and consequences.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives where necessary. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner in the English language; Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience; Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Planning and Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large tasks into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate risk analysis checkpoints, milestones, and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profitability, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization's total expenses and revenues.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are the type of deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- To be discussed with the successful candidate
The following indicates specific industry and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Engineering degree or related
- 5-10 years experience in quality management in the high-reliability space or Defense equipment manufacturing and test sector
- Space quality management would be a definite asset
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to be approved for Canadian security clearance
- Demonstrated ability to be customer focused
- Experience in growing, mid-sized growth-oriented private manufacturing companies would be an asset.
- Strong team orientation well suited to building consensus
- A bias for action combined with a hands-on approach and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Highly competitive compensation commensurate with the right candidate.